Meet Liam Lion – knit and win…
It’s been a while since my last toy pattern and I am happy to be back to toy making now. And I would like to challange you to join me! (read on)
I started off making toys because of my nephews and now continue making them for my own two heroes. Just seeing my boys’s reactions when I show them a new toy prototype for approval is worth all the work in the world! We’ll look at pictures and wildlife movies together and decide which animal should be my next toy. They are both eager to test-cuddle the final results and I’m glad I’ve got these two critics to call my own.
So here is the final and toddler-approved brand new pattern for
Liam Lion (click for pattern on Ravelry)
I would love to show my children all the animald that stand model for my toys in the real world, too. But for this to happen these animals need all the protection they can get.
So to make a small contribution to the future, Liam is the fourth of toy patterns I designed in support of the WWF – World Wildlife Foundation, after Patty the penguin, Scrappyphant and knit a whale
I am very happy to see so many of you buying the patterns and knitting toys! All the revenue from these four patterns go directly to the WWF, I don’t keep a cent. And I’m even happier to announce that the next donation has been made today! Thank you all for your support and for cheering me on!
Knit and win
To make it more fun for you knitting these, I dare you to
- knit all four of the patterns mentioned above until June 1st 2019,
- take a family picture with all of them in one picture and
- tag me on Instagram @MumpitzDesign .
- If sharing on social media please use the tag #MumpitzDesignwildlifesupport so that we can find your lovely projects!
Everyone who does that will get 5 patterns of their choice from my Ravelry Store and ONE will even have the chance to win a skein of handdyed yarn for the cutest picture!
What do you say: challenge accepted??
About the pattern:
This majestic but cuddly lion is the ideal gift for small and big kids alike and is a quick project. He is knit in the round with legs, ears and tail knit separately and attached later, but you can choose to pick up the stitches from the body and join as you go.
Techniques used are:
- knit in rounds and flat
- simple increases and decreases
- kitchener stitch / grafting
What you need:
- ~20grams of cotton or other dk weight yarn, for example Cascade Ultimo Pima (200m/100g) in lion yellow and brown (or your favourite combo)
- leftover yarn in black for eyes and face
- A set of double pointed needles or cable needle (one size smaller than indicated on the yarn – I used 2.5msts)
- 1 stitch marker to mark the beginning of the round
- optional: leftover bits for embroidery on the animal, small scarf or top hat…
- Tapestry needle to weave in ends
100% of the revenue from this pattern sale go directly to the WWF (World Wildlife Foundation).
More patterns supporting the WWF are:
Thank you to my wonderful test knitters Binle, sylie, SiNessi, mokla010 and Suzieqtee for proof reading!!
Update Mar 12 2019: New adoption!