Fluttering from flower to flower and brightening up spring time these butterflies are a joy for big and small kids. They are a very quick knit and a nice spring decoration or gift. Add a little crinkle paper to the wings and they make the loveliest baby toy! Use up your self patterning sock yarn leftovers and these winged friends will be your new favourite pattern.
You need following techniques to knit this toy:
– knit in the round
– simple increases and decreases
– kitchener stitch/grafting
– picking up stitches, if you want the toy to be absolutely baby safe.
The gauge is not very important, but you should use needles at least one size smaller than indicated on the yarn to prevent the fiberfill from showing. My butterflies are made from sock yarn (Regia and Opal) on needles 2.5mm and measure about 10×10 cm (4x4inches).
What you need:
- approx. 10g self patterning sock yarn or similar
- 3-5g in contrasting colour of the same yarn quality for the body
- Small leftover in black for the face
- 5 double pointed needles (2.5mm or appropriate to yarn weight)
- Tapestry needle
- Crincle paper if needed
Please tag your finished items on Instagram @MumpitzDesign so I can see them <3
This pattern includes two PDF files for the English version and the German version.