This one likes to brag, but wouldn’t you if you had that nice a beak? 🙂 He is the perfect size to be every child’s best friend and with a little crinkle paper in his wings and a bell in his belly he’ll be a great baby toy.
You need following techniques to knit this toy:
– knit in the round
– simple increases and decreases
– picking up stitches, if you want the toy to be absolutely baby safe.
The gauge is not very important, but you should use needles at least one size smaller than indicated on the yarn to prevent the fiberfill from showing. My birds are made from DK cotton yarn on needles 2.5mm and measure about 20cm (8 in) tall, 25 including tail feathers.
What you need:
• approx. 50-60g DK yarn, cotton or similar, in toucan colours
• Small leftover in black and white for the eyes
• 5 double pointed needles (2.5mm or appropriate to yarn weight)
• Tapestry needle
• Crinkle paper or bell/rattle if wanted
Please tag your finished items on Instagram @MumpitzDesign so I can see them <3
This pattern includes two PDF files for the English version and the German version.